The world abounds with a lot of mysteries so there’s always something new to learn.
Here are 17 shocking facts in the world that will make you question your intelligence.
1. Did you know you could easily tell the difference between a fake diamond and a real one by just breathing on it?
All you need to do is breathe on it and the fake one will be foggy but the real diamond will stay clear.
2. Well, there is a reason why they say cockroaches can even survive when exposed to radiation but interestingly, that’s even the lesser part of how strong the insect is.
If you cut off the head of a cockroach, it can survive for a week and it will die from hunger and not because it lost its head.
3. We can all be grouped into blood types but have you ever heard of the Bombay Phenotype?
It is a phenomenon whereby certain elements of the blood are missing. It results in a person having a mixed blood type. Only 0.0004% of the world’s population have such blood. There is even a special storage of this blood so that people who have it can have a transfusion if necessary. What is curious is that this unique blood type can be transfused to any person with a regular blood type.
4. Growing up, your idea of a museum was probably just going to a place to check out old historical things right? but we doubt you ever thought of going to watch other people’s faeces? Well in case you didn’t know, there is a museum of faeces in Piacenza, Italy.
The Shit Museum is a museum in the province of Piacenza, in the north of Italy, and is reported to be the world’s first museum dedicated to faeces.
5. And in case you thought that was the weirdest you will read today, then you should know that there is a fossilized poop of Viking turd stored in a museum.
6. Forget what you learned in school about the number of senses we all have, there are a lot more than that.
There is one known as the proprioception and that’s the sense of being aware of the position of one’s body parts. So the fact that you know where your ear is, is a sense of proprioception.
7. The reason why bananas are curved the way they are is because they grow towards the sun.
8. You probably never knew that the blue bird from the Twitter logo has a name right? Yes! it does, its name is Larry.
The creators of the social network named the bird after basketball player Larry Bird.
9. If you’re driving in Japan, don’t be surprised to come across a traffic light with blue lights instead of the green light.
There are actually traffic lights in Japan with blue lights replacing green lights because in the Japanese language, the colour blue and green have the same word.
10. A paper cut is more painful than a regular cut because such a wound almost never bleeds, so the nerve endings stay open to the air, which irritates them.
11. When you take a hot bath, you burn as many calories as you would if you went for a 30-minute walk.
12. If you click on a mouse for 10 million times, you will only burn 1 calorie.
13. If you make ice cubes with tap water, they will be white; if you use boiled water, they will be transparent.
14. The last names Van, Lee, and Zhang are the most popular in the world. 21% of the entire population of China has them.
15. Animals avoid power lines because they are scared of ultraviolet flashes that the human eye can’t see.
By the way, of all the mammals in the world, only humans and apes can’t see ultraviolet rays.
16. The amount of electricity you use in charging your smartphone is so insignificant even if you should work it out for the whole year, it will be less than ¢4.00.
17. You will be surprised to know that, upon all of humans achievement in science, 99% of the microbes in the human body is unknown to science.