Sukuma wiki is an easy way to incorporate more greens in one’s diet. You can use it along other side dishes such as plantain or mashed potatoes to mention but a few.
If you didn’t know how to cook sukuma wiki before, by the end of this, cooking this sukuma wiki recipe becomes your hobby.
Benefits of Eating Sukuma Wiki
- Anti-cancer properties: Sukuma wiki (collard greens) contain glucosinolates that offer protection against various types of cancer such as digestive tract and lung cancer.
- They offer antioxidants that protect your cells and your DNA against drastic damage that could interfere with normal cell activity and cause them to mutate eventually leading to cancer.
- Collard greens ( Sukuma Wiki) help to lower cholesterol levels by eliminating bile acids(fat) from the body.
- Sukuma Wiki is rich in Vitamin K, B vitamins, calcium and Vitamin A.
- These greens are an incredible source of dietary fiber. Whenever I feel bloated and constipated and eat a sukuma wiki recipe, I generously visit the toilet and solve my problem
- If you are embarking on a weight loss journey, you better include sukuma wiki in your diet because they are low in calories.
Sukuma Wiki Recipe (Collard Greens) Kenyan Style:
1 Bunch of Sukuma Wiki (Collard Greens), washed and chopped
3 Tomatoes diced
1 large Onion diced
2- 3 Royco or Maggi cubes
Salt to taste
¼ Pepper (optional)
Vegetable oil to Fry
Step 1: Heat oil in a cooking pot at low medium heat and fry the onions until soft
Step 2: Next, add in the tomatoes and fry until they form a thick paste. Add in salt, pepper and cubes.
Step 3: Take your chopped Sukuma wiki and add to the cooking tomato sauce.
Step 4: Cover the pot and simmer the Sukuma wiki for 5 minutes.
Step 5: After the 5 minutes, uncover and stir the Sukuma wiki well. Turn off heat.