A maize dryer at the NCPB depot in Eldoret was damaged by a fire early on Thursday morning.
The equipment burst into flames as it dried maize stored in silos at around 4 am.
Uasin Gishu county secretary Peter Lelei said they sent fire fighters immediately after they were alerted.
“We dashed to the depot where we found a huge fire which had just started. Luckily, our firemen responded quickly.”
Lelei said the fire was put off in minutes while officials at the National Cereals and Produce Board said only the dryer was damaged.
Chief Executive Officer Newton Terer said engineers went to the depot to dismantle the dryer as part of a probe.
“There was a huge explosion. We are investigating it,” Terer said, adding their second dryer will remain in use.
Farmers have turned up in large numbers to deliver maize at the depot and have demanded that NCPB clear the payments which amount to about Sh2 billion so far. Officials said the fire will not affect the process.