Kibera Man in ICU After Phone Explodes While Charging in Bed

A Kibera man is nursing serious burns at Kenyatta National Hospital after a mobile phone plugged into a charger exploded in his bed as he slept.

Jackson Mwaniki who lives alone, was found unconscious and badly burnt in his house by a neighbour, who rushed to his house after seeing smoke emanating from the house.

Speaking to The Nairobian on phone, Mwaniki’s mother Mary Kabuu, said it was by sheer luck that the neighbour saw smoke billowing from the house and went to find out what was happening, otherwise it could have been tragic.

Mwaniki’s mobile phone allegedly exploded while he was asleep, sparking a fire in the house.

“It happened as he slept and he didn’t know what was happening. He woke up only to find himself choking and burning,” said the mother.

“The doctor has assured us that the burns were not deep, and that he will be okay,” she told The Nairobian.

Doctors suspect the victim could have suffered a perforated eardrum following the explosion.

“He is still under assessment, we had to stabilise him first,” one of the nurses attending to the patient told The Nairobian.

It is not yet confirmed which brand of phone Mwaniki was using.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.