The Federation of Public Transport Operators will withdraw their services nationwide starting from Monday so as to align to new traffic guidelines.
“We would like to advise our members to withdraw their services on Monday for the purposes of aligning our operations to the new guidelines,” chairman Edwin Mukabana said.
Addressing the media on Saturday, Mukabana said they have written to the Ministry of Transport seeking clarification on some of the requirements.
This includes clarification on charging vehicle owners for traffic violations, changing PSVs’ colour to white and replacement of speed governors including the ones that are serviceable.
“We are seeking dialogue with authorities on some unclear and discriminatory guidelines,” he added.
On October 25, the government issued a directive to all PSVs to comply with all “Michuki rules” by November 12.
On Friday, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i said they are not going to carry anyone’s burden. He said lawlessness on the roads must come to a stop.
Matiang’i said the government will go after a chain of people to stamp out carelessness on the roads.
“We have taken a longer route this time. We will institutionalise our response to address this insanity. We will focus on the whole chain of responsibility,” he said.
Last week, the government issued a directive to all PSVs to comply with all traffic laws by November 12