Kenyan Comedian Felix OdiwuOr alias Jalang’o has commented on the ongoing debate on why international artists are getting more airplay on.
Jalang’o took to social media pointing out some of the reasons why music by Tanzania and Nigeria artistes will continue dominating the airwaves, a debate that was sparked by Nyashinski.
About a week ago, the Finyo rapper sparked debate after hitting out at Mambo Mseto host Mzazi Willy M Tuva for apparently promoting Harmonize instead of giving the platform to Kenyan musician. Nyash’s sentiments started off a debate that has pulled in a host of artists, radio presenters and other music stakeholders.
According to Jalang’o, Kenyan musicians need to change their work ethics if they are to compete with their African counterparts.
“I know most of you are wondering why I have taken this debate so personal, it is because I interact, I host and I talk to Kenyan artists daily. Unless most of them change their work ethics the Bongo and the Naija songs will still rule our airwaves because of the following:
1. There are artists we call for interviews and totally don’t show up.
2. There are artists who you have to beg to even post a poster of a show they are performing at.
3. There are artists who you literally have to beg to even send you a DJ’s Drop
4. There are artists who after giving us one huge song, think that that’s the end of the world and for more than a year, they bask in the glory of That one song and when you stop playing it, they tell you “You’re not playing Kenyan Music ”
5. There are artists who do not even have their own songs as their Skiza tunes
I one day, organised a meeting between Safaricom and Kenyan Artists to help them know how Safaricom sponsorship works. First, we had to beg them to come and even those who came, I don’t think any of them has ever written to Safaricom to ask for sponsorship.
Good music will always be played and even we presenters will look for it, an example is Dundaing!” wrote Jalang’o.