Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko has defended his administration against accusations that it’s chaotic and unfocused, saying he is committed to delivering on his election pledges.
He pointed a finger to “outside forces unhappy with his leadership,” and specifically accused Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho of undermining his leadership.
“I want to tell this PS, who has been fighting me, that he will not succeed in his attempts to put me at loggerheads with the Kikuyu community,” he said during a “Doing Good” day celebrations, an international day that recognizes remarkable contributions made by individuals to society, at City Hall, Nairobi.
His comments came against a backdrop of multiple reshuffles in his county executive and claims of spying on his staff.
Part of the problems facing Mr Sonko’s administration is his failure to nominate his deputy more than a month since the Supreme Court gave an advisory opinion, allowing governors to nominate a deputy whenever a vacancy arises.
The Senate has also adopted amendments to the County Government Act, allowing governors to appoint deputies whenever there is a vacancy.
His former deputy, Mr Polycarp Igathe, resigned on January 12, barely six months after assuming office, citing failure to earn the trust of his boss to enable him to deliver services to the people.
On Tuesday last week, the governor sacked the county executive committee member for Finance Mr Danvas Makori barely two months after he appointed him, accusing him of working for his political enemies.
Mr Makori, who was replaced by Lands CEC member Charles Kerich in acting capacity, is said to be a relative of nominated MP Maina Kamanda, whom Mr Sonko has accused of undermining his administration.
ORDER AND PROTOCOL
Our sister publication Sunday Nation carried a detailed story about Mr Sonko’s administration, portraying a governor with little regard for order and protocol.
The governor is said to report to office as early as 5am and leaves late in the night. What he does in the office during those hours, remains a matter of conjecture for keen observers.
However, Sonko defended his performance, blaming Mr Kibicho and other senior government officials who he accused of “working hard to wreck his administration’s track record.”
“Mr Kibicho and other individuals have been fighting me since the 2017 campaign period and they are still doing it. But I want to tell them that they will not succeed,” he said, adding that he was confident of the support of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy William Ruto.